3DS price will rise, Nintendo warns

RootBoi

Dr. Greenthumb
Awards
Credits
Nintendo has warned gamers that the eye-catching 3DS prices currently doing the rounds at UK shops will not last long.

The Nintendo 3DS, which went on sale in the UK at midnight last night, can be bought for as little as £175.

Gamers anxious to get their hands on the glasses-free handheld at launch have enjoyed the benefits of a price war, but according to Nintendo, the cost will soon go up.

"The only thing I would suggest to any readers is, don't wait," marketing manager James Honeywell told Eurogamer at the London Nintendo 3DS launch last night.

"I'm not sure a lot of those offers will be there for the long term. Those are great offers for the launch. There's huge amount of noise and hype around the launch. Those prices will start to revert a bit.

"Clearly people are trying to get as many possible sales as they can in these first couple of days. After that, perhaps a little more normality will come back to the market and you'll see that creep up again.

"So don't wait and think, oh, if this is how far it's gone down, it's going to go down even lower. You might see the opposite."

Nintendo does not set the retail price of the Nintendo 3DS, so "any retailer can make their own choice about what they do, how they choose to sell it and at what price".

This hasn't pleased all. Don McCabe, CEO of the independent CHIPS retail network, told Eurogamer he was concerned that the low prices currently offered by some supermarkets were devaluing the device in the minds of consumers.

But Nintendo denied the suggestion.

"It's just great for the consumer because in a competitive marketplace you will get the best possible prices," Honeywell said.

A Eurogamer news investigation published yesterday estimated the 3DS's innards cost around £61.76 to put together. Eurogamer sources have revealed a trade price of £170.73.

Nintendo hopes the 3DS will enjoy the biggest console launch ever in the UK. Sales of 200,000 in the UK alone have been targeted.

ss_preview_DSCF1464.jpg.jpg

Erm, this is slightly out-of-date.
This news came out almost 2 weeks ago, just after release.

Meh...... I don't think by the time I get my 3DS, it'll rise. (1 month left)

well, it still means retailers can basically do what every want in terms of Retail price

As long as retailers set prices above the wholesale price, they'll make money. So I might just try to get a 3DS through a wholesaler I'm connected with, provided that shipping and handling from the company's warehouse doesn't offset the cost benefit.

You'd have to be pretty well connected, since wholesalers generally only deal in bulk.
Also, the wholesale price is deceptive. It may be set at £170.73, but each unit actually costs retailers £204.88, since they have to pay 20% VAT on each unit. So most places have been selling at a loss, which is why the price will likely go up, and settle around the £220-230 mark.

Several stores in Australia has increased their 3DS price. Although there are a few store giving good prices, but it is likely that the bargain prices will end soon and the price will go up.

Ha, this makes me laugh at all the people who are jealous of my 3DS, and have said, "I'll just wait 2 months for the price to drop before I buy one".

I don't know about overseas, but here in Australia the prices have never dropped so soon after a new release. In fact it's usually not until a new device is coming out, that the price will drop by a mere $50 or so. Which is of course, the retailer just trying to clear stock before the new devices come out.
For example, the DSi retailed for $300 brand new when it came out. Most places are still selling it brand new here for $250 since the 3DS has been released. How pathetic is that?

So I should be getting my 3DS now, rather than waiting for when a game comes bundled with it? NOOOOOOOOOO! *dashes off to store*

So I should be getting my 3DS now, rather than waiting for when a game comes bundled with it? NOOOOOOOOOO! *dashes off to store*

There isn't somewhere that bundles games with it? One place did a deal over here for a choice of Rayman or Ghost Recon, plus a protector kit and the console for the price of sole console that everyone else was selling it for. Then again, Australia gets ripped in general when it comes to the price of games and consoles. Our dollar is higher than America's and we still pay double the price they do :/

I got an awesome deal as well! Got loads of free goodies like free games, store credit, accessory and money of final price. I pre-ordered though

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, not too worried on that one. It'll eventually drop back down.

...Right?

Eventually........ but no one can say when.. earliest would be November, if the NGP shows up and even then it might not be permanent. They just brought it out, why would they already start cutting prices, they got at least 5 more years to go with this device. That's probably why they don't decide final retail price, they don't want to deal with the customer needs in terms of price but their own by just dealing with the retailers. Give the retailers more freedom for competitive pricing and Nintendo an easier negotiation and reaching of their break even point and projected profit margin.

Back